When I had difficulty falling asleep as a little girl, my mom often prepared a bedtime treat of warm milk topped with spicy ground cinnamon. Sometimes this did the trick…wisping me away into a peaceful slumber. Other times I was still desperately in need of a motherly cuddle – a need only she could definitely meet. I think I chose to believe that only she could prepare my bedtime milk just right as well. Thanks, Mom.
I have comforting memories of warm milk. Warmth. Calm. Rest. Love.
Dairy and I don’t necessarily get along these days, though, and sleep and I still have our compromises. So…
Sweet Dreams Spiced Coconut
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 large soft medjool date (pit removed)
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp. Vietnamese cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or half a vanilla bean scraped
- 2 cups hot water
- Grated nutmeg or more cinnamon, to garnish
Blend all ingredients (less the garnishing spices) in a high speed blender until frothy and steamy.
Divide and pour into your two favorite mugs and enjoy cozied up in front of the warm fireplace with your favorite bedtime companion. So yummy!