What do you bring when you’re ask to attend a party?
- Do you inquire as to what’s needed or desired?
- Do you wait until prompted to bring a dish?
- Do you make whatever the heck you want?
- Do you skirt the issue of food and bring a host/hostess gift?
- Do you ignore the idea all together and assume your company is enough?
The answer is...always bring something and never arrive empty handed.
I like to combine a mixture of three of the options.
1. I ask my darling friend her preference in what I shall bring.
2. I also, at times, choose to bring an additional “whatever the heck I want,” just for fun. Remember, food is my love language.
3. Regardless of whether or not I’m bringing food, I’ll almost always show up to a party with flowers. Yes, I’m just that kind of a friend!
This time, when invited to a fall Girl’s Only Night, when asked what her heart desired I should bring, her response was simple,
“A bottle of wine and something to ‘wow’ the ladies.”
…and I have verification that this did, indeed, “wow” the ladies (and, uh, some of the boys who taste tested).
Rosemary Orange Marinated Smoked Gouda
8 oz. smoked gouda cheese, sliced into 1/4″ thick slices
8 oz. of VERY COLD cream cheese (a block), sliced into 1/4″ thick slices
juice and zest of 1 large orange
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 small shallot, minced
1 Tbs. fresh rosemary, minced
plenty of sea salt and pepper
Alternating the two cheeses, create a layered “loaf” on a serving plate (see photos).
Combine the remaining ingredients in a small glass jar and shake vigorously.
Spoon the orange marinade over the cheese and garnish with additional fresh rosemary.
Allow the cheese to come to room temperature before serving with water crackers and a gorgeous glass of merlot.